Meet the lovely Anna—
Anna is a petite brunette looking for love–someone to be by her side as she embraces the world around her. Anna tells us that she sees beauty in everything, and that she loves “nature, animals, music, cinema, warm evenings, and sunny mornings.” She can also enjoy the special appeal of a rainy morning or a winter afternoon.
Anna lives in Kiev, and loves “being active, trying out new things, hanging out with friends, and–of course–spending time with family.” She believes that the only real wealth in this world is love, and hopes to be rich in this sense one day.
When it comes to dining, Anna says that her favorite food to make would be pancakes. Pancakes are very easy to make, but difficult to make well, and there’s also the trap of potentially making the same kind of pancakes over and over again, which would bore both you and Anna very quickly.
Luckily, pancakes provide an easily adaptable base upon which you can expand and experiment to your heart’s content. We all know about throwing some blueberries into the batter or plopping some sliced bananas on top, but we’ve got thirty pancake add-ins you’ve probably never thought of. Yes, you read that right: thirty!
First, here’s a really basic pancake recipe in case you don’t already have one in your arsenal:
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ tsp salt
1tbsp white sugar
1 ¼ cups milk
3 tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg, vanilla, and melted butter; mix until smooth.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium-high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.
Now that we’ve got that covered, let’s get creative! Add any of these out-of-the-box ideas for homemade pancakes would beat anything that could ever come from a box mix.
- Applesauce: either homemade or from a jar, you can stir a bit into the mix for a healthy boost in moistness. Or just spoon it right on top!
- Bacon: Bacon makes everything better, right? Crumple bits of the savory meat right into your batter for a divine salty/sweet combo.
- Balsamic vinegar and strawberries: Strawberries? Check. Balsamic vinegar, though? Really? Yes, really! This flavorful pairing works just as well on your pancakes as it does on a salad.
- Butterscotch chips: upgrade your chip experience! It’s not just about chocolate chips anymore.
- Caramel: Mmmmmmm, yummy caramel. It’s like maple syrup’s decadent cousin came to the party.
- Cheddar cheese: Hear me out! Toss a bit of shredded cheddar in with your batter and get ready for a flavor explosion.
- Chocolate chips: still a favorite, always welcome.
- Chopped macadamias: the softer texture of macadamias make them ideal for mixing into fluffy pancakes. (Your pancakes are fluffy, right?)
- Citrus soda or cola: plop a splash of a fizzy drink into your batter for a tasty kick.
- Corn: you don’t have to be on a farm with an actual skillet to at least come close to that corn fritter taste.
- Cranberries: firmer than blueberries and more tart than raspberries, cranberries give your pancakes attitude.
- Crushed pineapple: another tangy fruit that’s not your normal pancake topper, but will give your pancakes a tropical flair.
- Eggnog: during the holidays, or whenever you have eggnog available, use it in place of milk for a rich, decadent taste.
- Espresso powder: coffee in your mug and coffee flavor in your pancake batter will certainly wake you up!
- Food coloring: this is just plain fun! Challenge yourself to make a rainbow stack or just add a swirl of red or green to make any day feel like a holiday.
- Ginger: the kick of fresh ginger adds spice to your pancakes, and a little goes a long way.
- Honey: reduce some of that sugar and mix honey into your batter for a gooey sweetness, or just drizzle some on top for a more natural syrup experience.
- Lemon juice: just a drop or two of fresh lemon juice in your batter will add a citrusy eye-opener.
- Mango: this tropical delight is like a flavor upgrade on peaches. Yummy!
- Nutella: Nutella was practically made for pancakes, so smear it on!
- Oats: give your pancakes some healthy volume by throwing a handful of oats into the mix.
- Peanut butter: A spoonful of peanut butter in your batter will add a savory twist to complement the sweetness.
- Pears: another overlooked fruit, thinly sliced pears on top of your pancakes are a refined and elegant choice.
- Pumpkin: canned pumpkin puree is a cheap and cheerful addition to any pancake batter, adding flavor as well as color.
- Raisins: nature’s candy. Always a yummy addition!
- Ricotta cheese: the creaminess of Ricotta will give your pancakes a smoother texture, while adding a surprising snap of flavor.
- Shredded carrots: sneak in your vegetables by cooking them into your pancakes! Combine this with the raisins and a dash of cinnamon and you’ve got an easy take on a carrot (pan)cake.
- Shredded zucchini: zucchini provides texture and blends in well with any batter.
- Walnuts: chopped walnuts add crunch and nuttiness!
- Yogurt: Up your moistness factor by substituting half the milk in your pancake mix with yogurt.