Most often, breakups are messy. They leave you with so much pain, and they hinder you from thinking logically. You don’t know what to do next, feeling like you’re simply stuck in that moment of sadness and grief. Is it possible for one to heal faster? The answer is yes, and you can do it through a rebound relationship.
A Rebound Relationship Can Make You Feel Like Yourself Again
Logically, one might think that rebound relationships are a bad idea because you’d have to allow a certain amount of time for your heart to heal. However, science seems to disagree.
Research conducted by Brumbaugh & Fraley points out that engaging in a rebound relationship can have more benefits than we think. In their study, they found that people who engage in new relationships after a breakup are more confident about their desirability. In addition, the rebound relationship they engaged in helped them come to terms with the breakup with their former partner.
Despite this, you need to know a few things before you look for your next romantic fling. First, there are two kinds of rebound relationships:
- Classic rebound – this happens when you start dating someone right away. Usually, things progress pretty fast – the relationship becomes serious in a short amount of time.
- Casual rebound – this type of rebound happens when you lower your standards and start paying attention to people who show interest in you. It could be anyone.
Which type of rebound do you think will you be most comfortable with? Once you have decided, you have to consider the following reminders:
- Don’t make hasty judgments and decisions. Although you are hurting, you still have to think about the decision that you’re making so that you won’t have to face regret.
- Remember that your new love won’t be the person to make up for your former lover’s shortcomings.
- Make sure that you are upfront about your feelings. If you’re looking for something casual, it’s best to let your new date know.
- Don’t forget to focus on yourself from time to time. Being in a relationship is great, but you have to know how to love yourself too.
For more tips about dating and relationships, make sure you check out the rest of our blog.