Expat is short for expatriate – a word used to describe a person who is either a temporary or permanent resident of a foreign country. To leave one’s country is a big deal and a big change, and most Anastasia Dates members would agree. It’s almost inevitable for a person to go through a period of expat loneliness while in a country which is not their own. Those who have expats as partners need to be extra sensitive about the loneliness their significant other might be going through.
Learn How To Avoid Expat Loneliness
Today, Anastasia Dates is offering advice on how one can deal with loneliness expats go through. This post is actually going to be divided into two parts. The first part is on how to deal with expat loneliness when you’re an expat yourself. Then, the second part is about how you can deal with the expat loneliness your partner is going through.
Anastasia Dates Expat Advice Part 1
It’s easy to feel out of place in a country and in a culture you’re not familiar with. However, you should remember that what you’re feeling is temporary if you do something about it. Here are Anastasia Dates practical suggestions on how you can deal with your loneliness:
- Find other expats – it’s always good to have someone to talk to. You can always talk to your significant other but they might not understand where you’re coming from since they are within their comfort zone. You have to find other people who have had a similar experience.
- Join a club – Anastasia Dates suggests that you join a club that will help you understand the culture of the country you’re in. For example, if you’re in an English-speaking country and not fluent in English, join an English language club to know more about the language.
Anastasia Dates Expat Advice Part 2
Now let’s talk about how you can support your expat partner if he or she is feeling homesick or lonely. You have to be open to communication. Here are some tips on how you can support your expat partner:
- Communicate – as mentioned, you have to be open to communication as well as be sensitive to what your partner is feeling. Encourage him or her to talk to you so you can better understand what he or she is going through.
- Encourage support groups and social activities – if you’re not with your partner all the time, you should encourage him or her to join expat support groups or social activities that can help take their mind off of the loneliness.
- Small gestures – you’ll probably know when your partner is feeling blue. Small gestures like a foot massage can go a long way in making other person feel much better.
There are more dating tips and cultural news on our blog, so make sure you read our other posts. Don’t forget to visit Anastasia Date to meet pretty girls from Eastern Europe.