What in the world is breadcrumbing? Apparently, it is a new online dating term that’s similar to ghosting. If you haven’t heard of those expressions yet, the main point you need to know is you should avoid doing both.
Before we get into what breadcrumbing is, let’s talk about ghosting so we have all bases covered.
Ghosting means that you go off the radar without any warning or explanation. For example, you’ve been talking to this beautiful European girl for a while. You, then, decide that you don’t like her as much, so you stop all communication with her without telling her anything – not even a goodbye.
Now, we can move on to breadcrumbing. It is a new term used to describe an online dater who contacts you on and off, not really making his or her intentions clear. This dater leaves enough “crumbs” for you to be interested but then disappears without a trace. After a few weeks or months, the dater resurfaces, starting the cycle of leaving crumbs all over again.
How to Avoid Breadcrumbing
Now, do you see why both ghosting and breadcrumbing have negative connotations? You have to avoid doing both at all costs because you don’t want to lead someone on only to break their heart in the end. Here are some tips on how to avoid ghosting and breadcrumbing:
- Be clear with your intentions. If you don’t like a person or if you just want to remain friends with a person, tell them.
- Don’t go for the easy way out. Telling someone the truth. It can sting a little, but it’s better than to leave them hanging.
- Be aware of your actions. Flirting with someone online is not a bad thing, but make sure that you don’t flirt too much to the point where a person mistakes it for you wanting to have a relationship.
- Communicate. Aside from being honest about the type of relationship you want, you should also be honest if you won’t be able to go online for a few days or weeks. For example, if you’re going on a business trip, or if you’re busy. This way, they won’t feel like you ditched them.
- All your decisions should be final. Before saying anything to the person you may be interested in online, make sure that what you’re feeling is not fleeting. If you tell her that you’d rather be friends, you cannot take it back.
Have you ever been “breadcrumbed” before? We hope not. For more dating tips, don’t hesitate to check out the rest of our post on our blog.